During COVID-19 shut-down in 2020 and 2021, the neighborhood festivals that had traditionally brought people together, concerts, live theatre, and cultural events that provided joyful moments and pride in all of York County were canceled. As our community re-opens, we want to bring these experiences that knit our community together back to our residents. The Welcoming Communities grant program provides financial support to community events that contribute to creating a welcoming & connected community for all in York City, York County, and Hanover – through diversity, accessibility and cultural representation. Working with our community partners, The Cultural Alliance’s role is to bring our grant-making expertise, arts and culture group and artist connections, and grant program management to the Welcoming Communities program. Grant timelines, guidelines and ways to apply for the Welcoming Communities grants below. For more information, accessibility options, and questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Event Styles for Consideration: Community-wide activities like large-scale festivals and live arts that bring different kinds of people together to share experiences and foster broader connection and understanding (of music, culture, history, language, etc.) Art-making and learning activities for adults and children that provide opportunities for hands-on or in-person growth and learning. Arts/music/culture/music/history/theatre experiences that provide accessibility to residents of various socio-economics and encourage community building and community connections in the area of York where the event is being held.
Applications for all Welcoming Communities grants will be scored on the basis of:
• Potential event impact – How will the event contribute to a hospitable community that fosters community connection, cohesiveness, and inclusivity?
• Inclusivity – Cultural diversity representation; family and age friendly; accessible to all residents and visitors while remaining free to participants.
• Event planning and management – Whether the event is in its 10th year or just launching this year, the ability to demonstrate the following will be key in the review process: a well-researched and thoughtful planning process, appropriate budget, sufficient staffing and volunteer considerations, evidence of sponsorship support if applicable, will all be taken into consideration.
Back for the fourth year, Downtown Inc and the Cultural Alliance of York County are excited to announce the application period is now open for the Welcoming Community York City Grants program.
Welcoming Community Grants is a grant program administered by Downtown Inc, made possible through Better York and the financial support of Better York, Powder Mill Foundation, the York County Community Foundation, and in partnership with the Cultural Alliance of York County.
The goal of the grant program is to identify and provide financial support to sustainable community events that contribute to creating a welcoming and connected community for all in York City – through diversity, accessibility and cultural representation. The grant program has a total of $15,000 in grant funds for events taking place from May 1, 2023-May 1, 2024 in the City of York.
Letter of Interest portal opens Monday, February 6, 2023.
Deadline to submit Letter of Interest is Monday, February 20, 2023 at 5pm ET.
Selected applicants will be invited to fill out a Full Application by Wednesday, March 1, 2023.
Applicants will be notified of funding decision by April 19, 2023
Grants will begin disbursement on Friday, April 21, 2023 (pending completion of grantee paperwork)
Note: In the interest of treating all applicants fairly, Better York will not entertain requests for funding events or programs outside of the annual application period.
Download a copy of the Letter of Interest questions to review ahead of time by clicking below:
Welcoming Communities York City 2023 Grant Letter of Interest
- Individuals or organizations may apply. Applicants are not required to be a 501(c)3.
- Priority will be given to events that have not received a Welcoming Communities Grant in 2020 or 2021.
- New programs and events, as well as established events are eligible.
- Events must be held in York City between 6/2022 and 6/2023.
- Events must be open to the public at no cost
Welcoming Community Grants program is administered by Downtown Inc and is made possible through Better York and the financial support of Better York, Powder Mill Foundation, the York County Community Foundation, and in partnership with the Cultural Alliance of York County. Grant amounts up to $2,000 will be considered, the average grant amount is $1,500 or less.. A total of $15,000 in grant funds will be allocated in 2023.
Additional questions can be directed to (717) 968-4307 or email email@example.com.